Participants will learn about the employer’s legal obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and how to successfully employ persons with disabilities. By the end of the session attendees will be able to: 1) When the employer has been notified of an accommodation request, 2) With the ADAAA, do we need to worry about whether the health condition qualifies as a disability under the ADA, 3) What medical information do we need to obtain, and how do we use this information? 4) Who determines what is reasonable and who is expected to be the accommodation expert? 5) Who needs to be involved in this process? Examples of the most challenging disability cases at the University of Iowa will also be shared.
Participants will be refreshed on the employer’s legal obligations to engage in the Interactive Accommodation Process under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Objectives covered will include:
- When has the employer been “notified” by the employee of an accommodation request?
- With the ADAAA, do we need to worry about whether the health condition qualifies as a disability under the ADA? Short term? Long term?
- What medical information do we need to obtain, and how do we use this information?
- Who determines what is reasonable and are we expected to be the accommodation experts?
- Who needs to be involved in the process?
About the Speaker:
Nathan Stucky is Director of University Human Resources Faculty & Staff Disability Services. Nathan and his team administer FMLA and the ADA for 15,000 employees on the University of Iowa campus. Nathan describes himself as a self-proclaimed HR Jock and has worked in a number of industries including: education, local government, healthcare, and retail when he worked for Hy-Vee. Nathan still to this day lives the motto of having a helpful smile in every aisle. Nathan is a proud Iowa native who grew up in Atlantic, and split his high school years in Atlantic, Humboldt, and Marshalltown. Nathan received his BA in Business Management – HR track and his BA in Music from the University of Northern Iowa, and is currently finishing his MBA from the University of Dubuque.