By: Amy Beller
Is your company experiencing a skilled worker shortage? Are there positions in your business that require skills that could be learned on-the-job? Do you have challenges helping workers keep pace with industry advancements? The solution is Registered Apprenticeship! Registered Apprenticeship is an employer-driven training model that combines structured learning with on-the job training from an assigned mentor. The “Earn and Learn” approach helps workers to start new careers, obtain national certifications, and employment. This program also helps businesses recruit, retain, and build a highly skilled work force.
Objectives of this presentation include:
- Presentation and understanding of five components of the Registered Apprenticeship Program and the benefits to registering a program with the Department of Labor
- Understanding of the role of a Registered Apprenticeship Sponsor and benefits to sponsors
- Benefits to Registered Apprentices
- Understanding of what industries and positions are apprentice-able
- Recognition of the flexibility of the Registered Apprenticeship Program model
- National and state initiatives focused on Registered Apprenticeship
About the Speaker:
Amy Beller spent the first ten years of her career working for United States Senator Tom Harkin. She held numerous positions with the Senator’s office ranging from scheduler, veterans and military constituent caseworker, and state outreach coordinator.
She spent two years developing the Harkin Institute for Public Policy & Citizen Engagement at Drake University. Amy was the Assistant Director for Programming and External Relations where she helped to create the institute’s community and university programming, D.C. Experience Scholarship Program and was the liaison to Senator and Mrs. Harkin.
In December, 2016, Amy moved to Iowa Workforce Development as the Registered Apprenticeship Program Coordinator to assist in the management of the ApprenticeshipUSA Accelerator and State Expansion Grants.
Amy earned her Master’s in Public Administration from Drake University and her Bachelor’s degree from Buena Vista University. She resides in Carlisle with her husband, Justin, and two young daughters.